Travel: Prince Edward County Travel Tips
The Magic of Prince Edward County
When it comes to discovering Ontario Wine Country everyone around the globe is talking about PEC.
This beautiful and relatively new vineyard area, located North of Toronto and South of Belleville, is taking the world by storm. The PEC region has something for everyone who loves and appreciates wine, including world class Chardonnay, delicious Pinot Noir and Sparkling, and many innovative wines.
Here are a few of my recommendations for exploring this exciting part of Ontario. Wine and travel is much like discovering your appreciation for art or fashion — be open to anything that sparks an interest or emotion, and create your own journey. When visiting a winery, make the most of your experience by engaging with your hosts and purchasing a bottle for future enjoyment (you’ll often save on paying for tastings at the bar this way too!)
- Taste and learn about wines with character at Karlo Estates. This winery is simply magical. It has a rustic family feel and the wines are unique and lovable. karloestates.com
- Meet the wonderful ambassador for Prince Edward County, Norman Hardie at Norm Hardie Estates. The wines are made with precision and craftsmanship. His Pinot Noir is a must take home bottle, and the lineup of all of his wines is simply stellar. normanhardie.com
- Head to Rosehall Run to meet Dan and Lynn Sullivan and taste the wonderful Chardonnay and Pinot Noir. rosehallrun.com
- Need a place to stay? Huff Estates is the perfect solution. You’ll find luxury accommodations with fireplaces and king beds in rooms, a winery on site, as well as an art gallery, restaurant, movies and a wine country breakfast, all amongst the vines. My personal favourite wines include the Cuvée Peter, South Bay Chardonnay and South Bay Merlot. Their First Frost is always a hit too. huffestates.com
- Looking for a county wedding? Head to Casa Dea Estates, the largest winery in the County. Its picturesque vineyard setting is a wonderful place to tie the knot and celebrate in rural luxury. casadeaestates.com
- For an amazing sparkling wine experience visit Vicki and Jonas, the founders of Hinterland Wine Company. Taste their wine from Greece, Muscat of Alexandria. hinterlandwine.com
- Take a drive to Closson Chase, one of the wineries that helped to spearhead the recognition of Prince Edward County. They produce premium Chardonnay and Pinot Noir, and after tasting these wines you’ll definitely want to walk out with at least one bottle! I also love the rustic charm of the winery barn. clossonchase.com
- Drive to the South part of the County and visit Waupoos Winery. It has anamazing dock where you can dip your feet into the water, a candy store at the winery, and interesting wines. This is another amazing venue for a wedding. waupooswinery.com
- Stop in at Sandbanks Estate Winery some great patio sipping wines before heading to the provincial park. Enjoy some sunshine while relaxing in colourful adirondack loungers and a complimentary tour. sandbankswinery.com
- Visit Traynor Vineyards, owned by Mike Traynor and began in 2008. He bought it as a frozen cornfield and turned it into grape magic! traynorvineyard.com